Pizza and Home

When I was growing up, Friday night was Family Night.  And ever since Kaelyn was small, we have done a similar sort of "family night" as well.  Sometimes it was on a Saturday night instead of a Friday night, sometimes it was a game night, more often it was a movie night, and almost always it involved pizza.  We usually made the pizza ourselves, and that is not necessarily a small task, especially when small children are involved.  Friday evenings were often a lot of work just to get to the pizza eating and movie watching.  I always like to eat pizza, and I like to play games and watch movies, but I didn't find myself looking forward to Friday nights very often.  I was always glad when it came, of course, because it meant the arrival of the weekend, but sometimes it was just one more thing to do. 

Over the years, our pizza nights have moved from Missouri, to Texas, back to Missouri, to France, and now to 
Africa.  Maybe it's just a little bit of home that we take with us wherever we go; maybe it's just yummy food, but whatever the reason, our Friday night pizza nights have become much more than just a habit.  I find myself looking forward to that tradition, knowing that after the busyness of the week we have a fun evening awaiting us, reminding us of home far away, and helping us to feel home here.  

Comments

Darwin said…
Never had pizza night. Laura had her stack of books every night and Tyler and I would play basketball until the yard light would come on. Hope all are adjusting well.

Favorites